a unique guide to inner and outer beauty

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Interview on Oribe.pro

MEET Michele Lee

Dan Langer / Oct 26, 2009


Michele’s work has been featured in Maxim, Elle and Glamour – just to name a few. She shares her work through her website, blog, twitter and Oribe.pro. We love when Michele posts new portfolios so we thought we would help the community get to know her a little bit better. We would share more of her bio… but since she is an Oribe.pro member we encourage you to just check out her profile.

You have posted a lot of portfolios on Oribe.pro. Why?
It’s fun to share. And my portfolio is next to Oribe’s… how amazing is that? The fact that he even commented on my work was unreal.

Any advice to those thinking about adding portfolios of their work to Oribe.pro?
Continue doing what you love and the rest is going to follow. If you continue to style… take the time… and find a photographer to shoot it… or do it yourself… to capture it on film is tremendous. This is a visual world… people want to see the work… don’t worry about how people are going to judge you… you are your own judge. Put yourself out there, be willing to share… if you are cutting or coloring, people are going to see your stuff anyway.

What would you like to see on Oribe.pro that isn’t on there?
My favorite is to see pictures from backstage. That really inspires me. Just to see a table setup. How somebody else organizes themselves teaches people a lot. Styling is time… you may have only 15 minutes – so, I get a lot out of seeing pictures of backstage or videos of how people work. (Editor’s Note: Excellent idea. We will add some more photos soon. For now, there are some great videos in the Editorial Section).

How did you start doing hair?
My mom gave me an old Pentax camera, which I still use. I fell in love with it. I just started shooting everything… and kept shooting. I started photographing friends and was attracted to models that were really confident, because that confidence just came across on camera. Then I realized someone had to do the hair and makeup. And it happened from there.

How much time a day do you spend online?
I designed my own website. I do my own marketing. So, I do tend to find myself online about 4 days a week. I haven’t been updating my blog as much as I could. This is new technology for me. It is about sharing my work with the world. I am getting into my own system. I am an artist. I am not a sit at a desk type person – but I do sit at a desk to do my web stuff.

Why do you have a website?
People love to see what you can do. It is a visual job that we have as stylists. Because people like to see what you can do, the web is one of the best venues you can do it in. When I met with Ford Agency they said that I need a website… so I put one up in a week… and my jobs tripled. Even everyday clients, a girl that is getting married, or a girl that has a night out… checks it out. I always ask how people found me and they often say the internet. I think showing your work online is really valuable, and I think more stylists should have websites. People want to see what they can do… they don’t want to just show up to a salon and hope they get someone good.

What do you tweet about?
For me it is about sharing my work. I’m inspired by people. Everyone can blog about products or makeup. For me it is about experiences… and if they are having a great experience, it shows. I like writing about people. People I have met, models I meet…

Where do you go to for references?
I get inspired by the models. I get inspired by their essence… and take what we are creating and try to bring something in them to the forefront. Everybody is beautiful. No matter what they look like. It is my job to bring that out.

How do you stay inspired?
A lot of the inspiration I have comes from collaborating. I love collaborating with other artists. It is so much fun to meet with people who are like-minded – but to come at it with a fresh slate – and everyone just thinks together. It’s beautiful.

Why Phoenix? Why not L.A.? Or New York?
I’m moving to L.A. I’m going to split my time though, I still have my clients here. The doors are opening and I am just walking through them. It’s time.

Who do you admire?
I admire the Dalai Lama. I love Eastern philosophy. I am inspired by Eckhart Tolle, Oprah, our President… their honesty, how they share with other people, their kindness in their work… most people in the business world don’t share… they don’t teach… but their level of teaching comes through in their work and it reads to people who interact with them. Teach with love. Talk about things with love.

Your personal luxury?
That’s a hard one. I like my space. I like my house. But I like to be pampered…. I get reflexology, or a facial, or a massage… or get on a plane and go to Hawaii. I am a spontaneous traveler.

Who cuts your hair?
I’m on a hunt.

What’s your favorite Oribe product?
The Superfine Hair Spray. It is absolutely amazing. It is so light. And my clients love how it smells. I get compliments all the time… I love that hairspray… even men do.

Some of Michele's Portfolios
- Perfume Card
- Check In Check Out
- Neutral
- Portrait of a Girl
- Nyloniq